Monday, July 27, 2009

My impression of the United States



It has been two months since I got here, and the impression I used to have about this country and its citizens has totally changed because it is the first time I really have contact with Northamerican people and it has allowed to really get to know how the Americans are like and what you can expect from them. A few years I was very influenced by people who have the idea that Americans are not as friendly and kind as people from other countries, and they are always busy and do not have time to share with

you which is absolutely untrue because I have witnessed how it is living in a country in which you do not have any relatives or friends or at least an acquaintance to hang out and have fun. Here it is when Americans have played a very important role in my life while being in their country; during these two months I have met hundreds of people from all over the world, and now I can assure anybody that Americans can be as easy-going and warm as anybody else. If I point out every single thing I have gone through since I arrived at Ole Miss, I will never come to an end, but it is satisfactory to let others know the truth and how these people who are considered by many Latin Americans as tough and unfrienly are really like. Another concept that has also been altered is the weather which thought was either cold or cool, but I could have experienced it is not "the perfect weather" as I used to think; it has been a little bit hard for me to get used to it because even though I come from a tropical country I am not familiar with a scorching weather. In addition to what I have mentioned, the compromise to sports to which youth is tight to is amazing, is something to be admired because they have gotten involved into it and they try to work daily to follow what they want and to reach their goals; this was something I knew beforehand, but I was not aware how serious it was for them. Finally, academics keep being in the same level as it was before arriving here; I have always stereotyped Americans as "reading lovers and passionate for studies", and now I am interacting with them I can be completely convinced of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment